BUNER: Flanked by Provincial Minister Riaz Khan, MNA Sher Akbar Khan and chief of district disaster management, Deputy Commissioner Mohammad Khalid announced end to the rescue work here on Sunday.

Quoting rescue workers, he said that rubbles were removed and nofurther casualty was reported from the site. He said that all the injured and bodies were recovered.

The deputy commissioner confirmed that on the very first day (Saturday) of the incident all seven dead and eight injured were recovered timely and shifted to district headquarters hospital Daggar from where the bodies were transported to their native towns.

He told journalists that personnel of army special unit Urban Search Rescue and Rescue 1122 from different districts along with district administration, police and locals took part in the efforts for 24 hours.

He said that about five vehicles were completely destroyed in the incident.

He said that provincial government had announced Rs500,000 for each dead and Rs100,000 foreach inured. He added that cheques were ready and the minister and MNA would visit each affected family on Sunday to hand over the cheque to it.

The official said that an inquiry committee was set up to probe the incident. He added that use of explosives should be stopped and arrangements should be made to gradually shift to mechanised mining.

Minister Riaz Khan and MNA Sher Akbar Khan claimed they would raise voice for mechanised mining so as to protect precious human lives and marble mines.

They expressed sorrow over the tragic incident and asked the stakeholders to follow the rules marble mining in larger public interests.

On the occasion, Mines Director General Hamidullah said that the marble mine had been closed for last one and half years and themines inspector had time and again visited it but there was no signs of collapse rather it was a sudden incident and the victims were waiting in their vehicles for their turn to load marble from other marble mining.

He said that the inquiry committee would soon submit report based on facts.

Meanwhile, Marble Mines Association president Fazal Rabi Khan and Marble Factories Association president Murad Khan said that although the incident occurred at an abandoned mine and the victims were drivers and cleaners but they would visit their homes and would help their families as they considered all of them as stakeholders.

Meanwhile, Ayoub Kor elders and youngsters were there with placards inscribed demands that government should take protective steps at marble mining site.

Source: Dawn

About the author

Avatar

Webdesk

Leave a Comment